Codrington is located 10 km west of Yambuk, is the only Australian township that is named after a bushranger. In 1850, Codrington Revingstone held up the Portland to Port Fairy mail coach three times and the area became known as “Codrington’s Forest“. In the 1870s, a township was surveyed on the projected road to Portland close to the coast and named, unwittingly, as Codrington. A road was later built inland and the proposed coastal township is never established.
There are a few places of interest in Codrington:
- Wormwood Garden and Nursery (4887 Princes Highway) is open Wed to Sun and most public holidays, 9am-5pm. It has several display gardens, a lavender walk, a keyhole garden and “the nook by the brook“, all set around an Edwardian home (c.1900).
- Codrington Nursery is open Wed to Sun, 10am-5pm and specialises in native trees, shrubs and ground covers with an emphasis on coastal plants and indigenous species.
- Codrington Wind Farm has been running popular mini-bus tours (generally Thur-Sun, 10am-4pm) since it opened in 2001. Besides informative commentary on the wind farm’s development and operation, visitors are treated to magnificent views and close encounters with wandering sheep and cattle. A kiosk in the car park provides information and sells windsocks, souvenirs, excellent coffee and snacks. For those not wanting a tour, information boards and a viewing platform are available.